Sunday, July 18, 2010

3rd round of THE JAMES 2 PROJECT!

Okee dokee, here we go again. I'm posting the post I posted on the rebelution down below. Wow, that was a lot of post words. It's a lot of post too. I don't know how to introduce this project without writing a novel. Maybe some more writing classes on slamming lots of info into a little space would be good? Oh, and please still participate even if you are not a rebelution forum member! That part isn't really important to anyone's participation. The rebelution forum members have just been really helpful with this project the last two years. Anyway, here's the run down!

For the last two years, members of the rebelution forum have taken part in The James 2 Project. This project’s focus is very simple. It is to bless orphans in a cold country with hats to “clothe” them, all in the name of Christ. The project's foundation is upon verses 14-17 in James 2 that call Christians to let their works match their faith. “What does it profit, my brethren, if someone says he has faith but does not have works? Can faith save him? If a brother or sister is naked and destitute of daily food, and one of you says to them, ‘Depart in peace, be warmed and filled,’ but you do not give them the things which are needed for the body, what does it profit? Thus also faith by itself, if it does not have works, is dead.”

As summer progresses, I am reminded that fall is coming and that I should begin to collect these hats again. I was going to start a lot earlier this year, but a little earlier is the best I could do. I’m still looking for an orphanage to send the hats to. These hats are hand made by Christian men and women, boys and girls all over who want to obey Christ’s commandment to take care of the orphan. If you have participated in this project before, I ask that you prayerfully consider putting your time and talent into it again. If you have not participated in it before I ask that you prayerfully consider putting your time and (maybe not yet gained) talent into making hats for the orphan. Obviously, we are not going to solve the world’s problem of orphans, nor are we going to be freeing these kids from all their troubles, but God loves to use the littlest things for His glory and maybe the hat that He called you to make will bless a little one beyond anything you can imagine, or maybe it’ll just remind them that somebody somewhere cares about them. Maybe, when they get this hat and hear about the God of the universe they’ll look to Him as their Master.

Some guidelines to making the hats:
1) Only use new materials (customs won’t let us use old materials)
2) If you add anything extra to the hats such as buttons, pompoms etc. please keep in mind the age of the children (2 year olds could choke on buttons, so tack them on tight!)
3) Use your creativity! These kids have absolutely nothing, and a fun hat would be loved! (Think about bright colors, goofy designs, funky appliqués . . . as you’re making the hats.)
4) Make your work good and your materials quality so the hat doesn't fall apart after one use. I’m not calling for perfection, but tie your knots tight and tack those hats together really well with thread or yarn.
5) Get your friends or even your church involved! It is a great way to get to know people, and to make good memories!
6) And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him. ~ Colossians 3:17

Fun Stuff:
For all of you who have participated before, you know that I like to do a “most creative” contest after receiving all the hats. I’m in to doing it again this year too, so more details will be up later. Suffice it to say that there will be fun awards and I will be the judge along with a couple more friends (probably). Some tips? I really like lambs, so anything with lambs will get booted to the “finals” rather quickly. I like appliqués on the hats and fun textures – be it with weird stitches or goofy yarn. I like hats that are out of the ordinary, but still wearable. If you do something really creative that isn’t really my personality, I’ll try my best to be open minded. (Those “tips "were all absolutely true, but also in jest, so don’t worry too much).

Also, we need a goal. I used to be scared to death of setting goals, because “what if we didn’t reach it?” I’m over that though, because last year we didn’t reach it and God was still greatly glorified. The first year we almost doubled the goal of 200, last year we didn’t quite reach the goal of 400. I’m thinking goal of 500? What do you say? I need all of your help though! Spread the word, teach lessons on making hats, get creative in ways to get others involved . . . It would take some work definitely. Let me know what you think.

Final notes:
If you know of a missionary in COLD country that works near an orphanage or with an orphanage, please let me know so that I can get into contact with them.

When you have made all of the hats you are going to make, then please PM me and I’ll give you an address to ship them to. There will be a deadline for shipping hats to me, probably sometime in November, so get a move on; it’s so sad to get late hats that have to wait till the next year to be sent out.

I’m looking forward to working with you all and hope that you are all terribly excited about getting started!

1 comment:

Sammi said...

Wow! I just made my first hat of the year yesterday. It has been so long I misjudged the size so it came out small but cute.