Monday, March 22, 2010

Start Here


Alex and Brett Harris just released their new book Start Here. I got it in the mail Friday, and finished reading it yesterday. It was really really really great! Not only does it tell you to just get moving and doing something for God, but it encourages you to keep your heart right before God before your project, throughout your project, and after your project is done. Alex and Brett did an amazing job laying out principles and questions for a person as they seek to honor God in their lives. A person can easily get stoked about doing things for God after hearing a good sermon or reading a book, but it is totally another thing for them to get going and doing things for God. Start Here was written to encourage people, young people especially, to quit thinking about doing things for God, and just do them! To listen to what God is calling them to do and follow His lead. Of course, this can come in many different forms, but following God should be the priority of every Christian's life.

This book has been very encouraging to me as far as The James 2 Project goes. I like this project, but honestly, it does wear me out and by the time it's over in December, I am ready to forget about it for a few months. That's not the way it should be. Breaks are good things, but I also need to focus on how God is leading me with this project. I do feel that I should do a little something for it throughout the year, not just in September, October, and November. So, inspired by the Harris brothers' new book Start Here, I have been thinking about some ideas. None of these are concrete, but I thought I'd post them and see if anyone would comment back. (I don't really think anyone reads this blog, but if you do, let me know your ideas too).

1. I have an offer from a lady who works at The Master's College to sell used/new books for me and give all the profit to the James 2 Project. I know most of you do not go to The Master's College or live in CA, so it'd cost a fortune to ship the books, but I thought it was a good idea. What do you think of selling some of your old books that you're never going to read again and giving the money to The James 2 Project? Or maybe you could collect books from friends/family etc. and sell them on Amazon and then use the proceeds for the James 2 Project. I know that it costs me a fortune to ship the hats and to buy yarn, so I know that it costs you all too. You can either use the money to help you ship your box and pay for yarn, or you could donate it to the final shipment of the boxes to the orphanage. Either way.

2. Maybe we could also do afghans. I was thinking it'd be neat to collect 12 inch (or whatever size) squares from all of you (and others) and then I could sew them all together. It's not a generic idea, but I think it could be really fun and cute!

3. In their book Start Here, Alex and Brett mention that whoever has the initial idea of a project isn't necessarily the one who needs to head it all up. I was thinking that it would be neat to put other people in charge of different things. I love heading the project up, but I don't have enough time to keep up with it completely all the time. As most of you know, I fall short a LOT. For example, I can't keep up with this simple blog :) Anyway, I think it would be great for others to take more leadership positions. Maybe you could help out by doing something that you're really good at and I'm not! For example, there are things that others may know all about and be gifted in that I am not. Like, I have no idea if I'm supposed to register this project as a "charity organization" or if I can just keep going the way I'm going. Also, I don't like raising money, but obviously it'd be a great thing since I don't have any myself ;) Or, is there any way to find 1 or 2 orphanages to send the boxes directly to or is the best way to go through organizations like we have the last 2 years?

Alright, now it's your turn! I have rambled on, and the project may just end up going on the same way as it has the last 2 years, but if any of you have any ideas to better this project and that we could implement, that'd be great! Comment below or email me :)

Soli Deo Gloria!

2 comments:

Mrs. B. said...

I do too read this blog. :-)
Hi.
So, I don't know anything about registering Nonprofits, but I did a little research and the amount of paperwork is slightly overwhelming... but... I don't have a job right now, which means I've got plenty of time... If you really want to head that direction.
I don't have any big ideas, but I'm game for anything- what did you have in mind? What do you want me to do?

Charity said...

Hey Sam!
Ok, so I'm supposed to moderate these comments, but for some unknown reason this totally did not get emailed to me :) I'll talk to you later about what to do! Seriously, I have no idea . . . What are your gifts? and how could you use that in the project?