Tuesday, October 7, 2008

The James 2 Project

I've crocheted for years. I like to make hats, blankets, sweaters, booties etc for babies that I know (or don't know sometimes). I was trying to think of a ministry that I could do that would incorporate my love for making things for children into it. James 2:15 and 16 says: "If a brother or sister is naked and destitute of daily food, and one of you says to them, 'Depart in peace, be warmed and filled,' but you do not give them the things which are needed for the body, what does it profit?" This verse talks about someone with physical needs. My idea is to clothe children that are "naked and destitute." I was hoping to collect 200 hats that are knitted or crocheted (or any other hand made way of making them). Then, I would send them off to Samaritan's Purse to distribute.

If you don't know who Samaritan's Purse is, here's their link: http://www.samaritanspurse.org/

After writing to Samaritan's Purse and asking them if I could use their organization as the ones who would distribute the hats, they wrote back saying,"We would be glad to receive your handmade hats. While we do not have a particular project set up for them, they could be used to fill Operation Christmas Child shoe boxes, or sent to children in hospitals or orphanages. Please keep in mind that because of customs restrictions, the materials used must be new. While we do not know where these items would be sent, you can be sure your hats will be real treasures to the children and families that receive them."


What I'm asking you ladys/girls to do is to make hats for children ages 0-15. Then, you could mail them to me and I would send a huge box of children's hats to Samaritan's Purse. If any of you are interested you can email me by going into my profile and clicking "email." I will then help you find a way to get the hats to me. If you need patterns or anything, then I can help with that too.

Things to remember:
1) Only use new materials
2) If you add anything extra to the hats such as buttons, pompoms etc please keep in mind the age of the children (2 year olds could choke on buttons)
3) Use your creativity! These kids have absolutely nothing, and a fun hat would be loved!
4) Also, make your work good and your materials quality so the hat doesn't fall apart after one use.
5) Get your friends or even your church involved! A bunch of ladies sitting around doing needle work is a great way to get to know people, and to make great memories!

I'm actually going to be teaching some classes here where I live, because I know lots of ladies that don't know how to crochet, but I'm hoping will be willing to learn. I think I will host a tea or coffee and invite the ladies over and teach them the basic stitches and then let them come back the next week so I can check up on them, the third week I'll collect the hats.

If any of you have any more ideas as to how I could collect more hats feel free to let me know!

Oh yes, I'd like to have the 200 hats made by the end of November if possible.

Thanks everyone! And let’s make this happen!

~Charity

No comments: